Compl. Classical Catalogs
Lubricants for Pianos
Hi-Tech Professional Use
Pianos are suppose to sing, not squeak!
All of the following lubricants are qualified to be used by piano technicians, most are specific to pianos only. From those quality products that are available to the technician, this page contains only the finest hi-tech lubricants available.
- -- Many of the products below are dangerous. They are poisonous, and some are flammable. Overall, these types of lubricants should only be used by someone familiar with working with such products. In other words
. . . be careful, your piano probably sits on nice carpeting!
- How do you take your piano apart to find the squeek? What can you do to improve parts that are giving you problems? How do you fix something busted. . .
There is one book I recommend on the subject, which covers everything and more. Before you go crazy with your grease gun, consider buying this book. I guarantee you will find it the most helpful text on the subject. It's the Art Reblitz "bible" of working on pianos:
Piano Servicing, Tuning & Rebuilding
Notice: Please do not combine flammable orders with sheet music (all flammable products must be shipped via ground delivery). If you do combine flammable orders with sheet music, your order will be divided into two separate orders with separate shipping rates.
CANADA: Sorry, flammables cannot be shipped outside the continental U.S.
Protek MPL-1: 2 oz. jar - Wood, Metal
Protek Prolube: 4 oz. Spray Bottle - Keybed
- A clean, high technology, grease type lubricant which is quickly replacing graphite grease wherever used in pianos. It can be used on all wood to wood, wood to metal, and metal to metal applications. MPL-1 has very high adhesive properties that bond to the applied surface, and has an exceptionally long life span.
- An advanced state polymer spray lubricant. Designed for high friction areas like the keybed and frame. Great for keypins and grand damper wires. Provides long-lasting, durable lubrication. Has very little odor, and is environmentally safe.
1 OZ. JAR
Acheson Dag 154 Graphite Lubricant: 4 oz. jar - Action part, Pedals
- Dry lubricant, white powder, for keybed and grand knuckles. Also works anywhere for metal/wood, metal/metal or wood/wood friction areas. Apply with small bristle brush or Q-tip.
Dri-Slide Lubricant: 4 oz. plastic bottle - Metal to metal
- Can be applied with a fine brush to bridge caps, jack heels and noses, slots and tops of repetition levers, pedals and all types of action springs. This long lasting graphite dries rapidly, and can be thinned with denatured alchohol if necessary. Messy stuff, will stain. Use a drop here and there.
Squeak Douse Graphite Lubricant: 16 oz. bottle
- Not an oil, but molybdenum disulfide (or so it says. . .). Creates a dry film coating for superior resistance to dirt, dust, and water. Withstands pressures of up to 100,000 p.s.i. Can be used in temperatures ranging from -20 Fahrenheit to over +750 (Mars?).
For use in metal to metal applications. Very high-tech. Curious, we receive orders for this product from gun owners.
Dry Graphite Powder: 1 lb. plastic can
- For piano action parts. Squeak Douse is graphite, held permanently in suspension, for lubricating center pins, pedals, damper control rods and all parts of the trap action. This product will not stick or gum, and because of its exclusive penetrating quality, it is more effective than oil for reaching the source of aggravating squeaks. Designed for the professional technician, an individual buying this product will have a lifetime supply (16 oz.). Great to use on other projects unrelated to piano. Suspension is flammable until dry, must be shipped Surface Delivery.
Tube-O-Lube: 6 grams puff-spray tube - Metal, Wood, Plastic
- This product is graphite powder, and is/was a seed flow lubricant used for propagating seeds in nurseries. But, jug label aside, it is excellent for use wherever powdered graphite is needed. The 16 oz. (large jug) is a lifetime supply for an individual, but powdered graphite can be a very handy thing to have around the house or farm!
Center Pin Lubricant: 4 oz. bottle - (very popular with piano techs)
- Extra finely ground graphite powder, for use on metal, wood or plastic. Very handy. Use this for hard to reach areas, fine powder for minimum movement problem areas.
PROTEK CLP: 4 oz. plastic bottle - Felt bushings, tiny pins in felt, removes green crud, etc.
- Relieves sticky actions. Ideal for center pins, which are the tiny pins which snugly fit inside a felt bushing (a high percentage of moving parts inside a piano are held together in this way). Loosens rust on contact point of strings and bearing bars. Highly flammable, until it dries.
- Protek CLP is a cleaner, lubricant and protectant made from polymers. This product removes verdigris (the green crud) and protects against future build-up by coating the center pin and sealing the felt from moisture thus preventing oxidation. Unlike silicone, Protek will not run, dry out or become ineffective. Since Protek will not harm wood, plastic, metal or the piano finish, it is excellent for damper guide rail bushings, underlever lubrication, front and balance rail pins, capstan screws and squeaky knuckles. Widely used, very effective product.
Note: the verdigris found on bass copper-wound strings CANNOT be removed with any chemical product. Take it from someone that tried, and ended up re-stringing the piano. . .
Don't feel like ordering from this page??
Click Here to be magically transported to our site search page where you can search
over 500 web pages of recommended music and products.
- - or - -
Click Here to search our separate SQL database.
Home | Benches Tuning Supplies Metronomes etc. | Downloads | Contact | Welcome | Gift Certificates | Categories
Database Search | Site Search | Empty Cart | View Cart | Check Out Sheet Music Online - 5830 S.E. Sky High Ct. - Milwaukie, Oregon 97267 U.S.A.
All contents of this website
Sheet Music Online
Questions, Comments, or Suggestions??
Dr. Rein Peter Vaga, D.M.A. (email@example.com)